the Kansas - Oregon trail

we're not in los angeles anymore...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, OR, United States

Saturday, September 09, 2006

let's go for a ride back in time

*



taking the little bug on a drive to calm her jangled nerves, I traveled through a great little town named Baldwin City. Americana all the way. Little picket fences, white as it gets, apple-pie afternoons with pleasant folks, puritanical hold on the past, holding on. Circle the wagons.


This is the old train station. I should have taken another picture. I don't think I captured it well enough. I can almost see a Jim Thompson type, travelling, grifter bending someone's ear about how things just aren't the same around here while he's pocketing their watch and the ladies wave goodbye to their men going to the good war...







I enjoyed the seedier side as well... the rust and faded promise as people moved west. The cart above was on a road that is said to be part of the Santa Fe Trail. I don't know that it was from then exactly, but...



what would a post be without a few pictures of ms. violet?


*

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home