the Kansas - Oregon trail

we're not in los angeles anymore...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, OR, United States

Saturday, April 22, 2006

seems like i've crossed some kind of line


I bought a lawnmower today from a guy named Gary. Wendy pointed out that it was easy to remember his name because of his giant brass belt buckle that was unsettlingly prominent. nice guy. $50 - and what a beaut. talked him down from $75. I haggled down the price of some little antique tins of tobacco and a cool license plate from kansas with a buffalo on it (wendy's not into that one) yesterday in this little antique shop/house in the middle of nowhere with an old guy in overalls that ruled. His name was Larry, of course.

I can't explain my feelings about the lawnmower. I feel as if I've crossed some threshold into middle-age or something, but it was filled with a satisfaction I didn't expect (not the buying but the mowing MY lawn). Maybr I was already there because it feels strangely familiar. I feel grown-up... and part of something I was sure I didn't want. Not miraculous. Nothing all that interesting and you just might miss it if you don't slow down but altogether simple and good. from the smells of fresh cut grass to the cold glass of water drunk with shoulder dirty and wet from wiping the sweat from my brow.



Whose life is this?




Nice, though...

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home