the Kansas - Oregon trail

we're not in los angeles anymore...

My Photo
Name:
Location: Portland, OR, United States

Sunday, November 19, 2006

protect me from what I want

*


On a recent weekend, I found myself sitting around a twenty-foot pile of wood in the middle of nowhere, Kansas. The air was crisp with fall and the colors on the trees reminded me that I was somewhere unfamiliar. As the stars came out overhead in the cloudless sky someone started the pile of wood on fire with a torch. I sat and looked around at the hundred or so people gathered around the soon-to-be bonfire and noticed my wife showing someone we only just met how to hold our ten-week old daughter and saw them both sharing the slightly nervous smiles of the newly acquainted.

As the fire starts to really get going I think about my friends out in Los Angeles and how I miss them and how upon returning there from SF, I thought I would never make any that really mattered to me. I think the same thing here sometimes and yet this should be evidence that we find the people we need if we open ourselves up to feeling a little stupid. I was able to find friends there and we already have here. My mind dances around like the flames as I think about the years back there and what it means to be away from people that you have a strong bond with and I enjoy the feeling of nostalgia that it brings but the fire keeps my mind here.

I can’t believe we live in Kansas now and that we love it. It feels like evidence that even when we think we know what happens next we rarely do and it’s often better than what we wished for.

(image by Jenny Holzer)

The fire gets a little out of control and the flames jump thirty plus feet in the air. I have always been around people who are drawn to that kind of energy and most are now trying to tame it. It’s interesting to see as people grow more excited and some just scared. It all just seems like a metaphor of our reactions to life, to me. Awed, most people can’t speak for long without their attention being drawn away to the power of the fire. I wonder how the hell we wound up here and if I would have made the decision to come here 10 years ago or 10 years from now but that seems irrelevant, really. Right now I don’t care about the how of it and decide to enjoy the evening. We are here now and let’s hope that there’s more than we can expect around the corner.

that's right.



*

1 Comments:

Blogger d-cypher said...

Yeah fabulous fire metaphor. You're a real flamer!!!

Did you ever go to my blogsite after I sent you that last e-mail? If not, Violet's escapades will no longer be followed. I only read yours so you'll read mine...

I'm coming out soon (and don't go for the obvious closet joke either)!

By the way, you take some awesome shots with that little camera.

7:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home